Monday, February 3, 2014

The Kenwood TS-830S works fine!

Now, the question is: will it work?

After 30+ years in storage, are there any problems with it? Any capacitors leaking? Will the valves work? Will it break when voltage is applied to it?

The radio is 120V nominal and my home is 220V. Of course I didn't want to convert it to 220V, even if following the guidelines on the manual. I thought it would be too intrusive.

I was also worried about de voltage variation we usually get around here + - 4V.

I started to look for a no-break that would be suitable; one that would maintain 120V + - 1% no matter the input power or its variations, but they are just too expensive for now.

I got myself a transformer and I began to monitor the Voltage output. It varied from 117V up to 120V, so I thought it would be OK.

I had prepared a good place in my shack for the TS-830S (I live in a very small apartment and my shack is in my closet. It will be at least until my new house is ready).

I plugged the radio to the power outlet and turned it on. 

The audio started low and increased gradually. I had a 40m vertical Hustler antenna I got from my father, PY2HH, connected to it and the radio soon came to life. It was wonderful to hear the background noise of 40m, but even better to listen to other operators speaking on air.

It was night, so I turned to 20m. There were lots of CW and the audio was clear! I played with the VBT, Shift, Notch, everything seemed to be working.

I tuned to a CW signal and switched the Mode Switch to CW.N, then to CW.W, but could not notice any difference between the two settings. I was really hoping it came installed with "all the filters" as many sources on the Internet seem to suggest of a TS-830S GOLD LABEL.

I very much doubt it that the filters were removed by the previous owner as I honestly believe I am the first HAM operator to actually play with the radio. I didn't want to open the case and look inside either, not just yet. I was extra careful, he is an old, respectful piece of equipment.

With some help from my father over Skype, I manage to tune it properly for 7,130Khz, but not with too much power. Actually I have not even plugged the microphone. I was using the SEND/REC switch alone, to tune and verify there was irradiated power. There was! There was voltage on the plate as well, about 700V, so it seemed to be working. Next I'll try a more proper transmission and a real QSO (I'll have to get my father to come over because, as of today, I can only listen, I'm PY2592SWL). Then we will know how healthy the radio really is.


After this, I found courage to open the case and inspect the components. I opened the top only and couldn't find anything wrong, dirty or leaking. I found no sign of filters either, so I guess the story about GOLD LABEL coming with all the filters installed is not true. :( No problem, I'm happy just the same)

No comments:

Post a Comment